Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'll always remember her garden...

My Darling Daughter,

We found out yesterday that your Great Grandmother Ella Frieda Wood Hudson (Elfrieda, Nanny, Meme) passed away over the weekend. You and she first met when you were 1-2 months old. She came out to New Mexico, at 93 years old, just to see your beautiful face and hold you in her arms. It was a very special visit, her last out of state visit. I think seeing her great grand-daughter and hearing about you for the last year helped keep her going when she was feeling old and lonely. You brightened up her days just as you brighten everyone's around you.

I wanted to tell you about your Great Grandmother, because you won't get to ask her to tell you these stories herself. She was born in October in 1915, and was the oldest daughter; as are you. She used to walk to school and be passed up by the little rich girls in their buggies (they didn't offer rides often, if at all). She lived on a ranch, the ranch house is still there in Fulton, California. She loved prunes. As a baby you did too. She loved the outdoors and gardening. I'll always remember her garden, filled with flowers, imagination, and a little magic. She was an extraordinary woman who lived through a great many things and saw a great number of changes in the world. She loved to knit and made you a blanket, two hats, and two booties. She knit me some things as well, which you can have when you are older. She was many things; but to me she was my grandmother, and I'll always remember her garden.

Love,
Your mother

2 comments:

  1. Lexi,what a beautiful letter to your daughter! I am sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This letter made me cry; it's so sweet of you to write this for Anya.

    ReplyDelete