Thursday, May 27, 2010

Inspired

I know I said I would 'never over-decorate my child's room'....well, I take that back. I don't think I'm going to go over-board with a "young" theme, murals, everything coordinated...but I am REALLY excited about my daughter having her own room and maybe putting a little personality into it rather than just furniture. I grew up in a house that was old and my father would not let me paint the walls in my room. I was forever doomed to a life of eggshell white. I would have loved to have done a little room decorating and really made the space reflect who I was. I never got a chance to and now...I want to be able to give my daughter some of the options I didn't get. She's one, so she probably won't care too much about how I decorate her room for her, but I really want it to be able to grow with her. It can't be stuff that she'll outgrow in 2-3 years...maybe when she's a teenager! She's such a happy bubbly baby (toddler) most of the time that I think COLOR!! Sometimes she's really quiet and just likes to play by herself...and then I think cool colors, calming....Help!! So, here are my ideas...we'll see what our new space will lend itself to:

Bright colors: tangerine, turquoise blue, pink (SMALL amounts), small amounts of a purple, green, and yellow and her bedroom furniture which is a dark cherry brown

Cool colors: salmon pink, robin's egg blue, white, light yellow and her bedroom furniture which is a dark cherry brown (Although I'd prefer white with this color scheme)

I'd love to have a fabric tent for her to play in no matter which color scheme Maw-Bell Designs (link below) has a great pattern for one. They also have a fun crib bedding set; a little romantic for the bright colors...but it might be a fun combination all the same...a little "sassy."

I also want her to have some shelving, a dresser (I really wish I could have my dad's childhood dresser, restained it would have been PERFECT...alas, it is gone in the world of garage sales), and a small activities table. I found a fun one of those at Target the other day, with storage underneath...that's what I like to see (extra storage)!

I doubt I'll get to pain the walls either way since we'll be renting for at least a year. Too bad...I get really tired of white walls.

http://www.maw-belldesigns.com/

4 comments:

  1. Being able to paint is nice, but then you actually have to CHOOSE a color! We have painted three rooms and so far only one room has been the color I wanted it to be. I love what we ended up with but it is annoying! The livingroom may remain eternally white because it seems like such a big decision to choose a color!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was able to paint my walls as a child, so I feel your pain! That is a really great idea! I'll be going to Sea World soon to pick up Anya's name painting :) I'll keep those colors in mind :) :) :) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! After some discussions I have tentatively decided on the tangerine, pink, turquoise...bright color combinations. I'm pretty sure wall color is going to be out, but there is always a fabric accent wall, and I'm hoping to find some really fun fabrics that will also coordinate with the white walls. Who knows, maybe we'll get a place that will let us paint our walls....yeah, right! =) Liz I can't wait to see the painting!!!!

    Brittany, yeah....we had problems with living room color when we owned our condo in Alaska. We never got past painting the wood trim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although you couldn't paint the walls, you had a really cute bedroom as a little girl. I remember what a cool bed you had, can't remember...did your dad make it?

    ReplyDelete