Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cold Feet

This is for all the wonderful busy bodies out there who think they know what's best for babies in regards to their feet. Going out to and from the car without socks and shoes on is not going to harm their little feet. If it was truly cold enough for a 5-10 minute trip to do some harm they would be bundled up in a snow suit anyway. Furthermore, if your child is learning to walk going barefoot is best. Babies who are barefoot while learning to walk, walk faster and are apt to walk properly. Babies who are in shoes all the time are apt to walk slower and not walk properly. So there.

"As your baby starts to walk, let him go barefoot as much as possible. Babies use their feet and toes to grip as they are learning to walk. When shoes are necessary, flexible ones with protective, but soft soles are best." This is a direct quote from a pamphlet at my Pediatrician's office. I just wanted to set the records straight for all of those wonderful busy bodies who keep stopping me in the stores or at the post office and giving me lectures on my baby's "poor cold tootsies...yes you tell your mama you need socks and shoes on." Gag. I'm ready to throttle the next one who tells me that.

4 comments:

  1. Please throttle one, that would bring joy to me =) Damn busy bodies

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your saying is doesn't stop...damn it! I hoped once I wasn't pregnant people would stop giving me unsolicited advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. Doesn't stop. Keeps coming. Lots of little old blue haired ladies (sorry, stereotype). I've had check-out clerks and teenagers too. Everyone has an opinion. Just remember (advice from someone for me, not sure who) that YOUR opinion is the one that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's why I love those little socks that look like shoes (giggles) too cute. I find myself a lot less clumsy even now barefooted. Maybe my parents put me in shoes when I was learning...hmmm....I might be on to something...

    (wmwah!)

    I will admit I can't wait until Anya gets older because I so totally want to get her cute froggy rain boots. This will be when she is kindergarten age though. hehe.

    ReplyDelete