Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Restaurant Etiquette

My husband and I just had the worst experience we have ever had while dining out this weekend. We are not hard to please in a restaurant as we have both worked in food service in our lives and understand some of the 'back room' stuff that goes on that most guests don't know about. However, this was, by far, the worst dining experience we have ever had. We had a lot of errands to run so we went to a restaurant near where we were doing most of our errand running. We've eaten there before and usually have a decent dining experience, but this time we were put next to a large table of very rude people. I almost asked to be moved because our daughter was with us and she's prone to being a little loud and I didn't want to ruin their lunch out if she was. Wouldn't have mattered they were talking so loud that my husband and I couldn't even have a conversation, I could barely hear myself think much less him, and our daughter's squeals were totally drowned out by their obnoxious laughter and conversation; which was, at one point, about one of their daughter's having a boy in her bed all night at 14. And on and on about what she might have been doing. In detail. Loudly. Then they went on to have an in depth conversation about their first sexual experiences. All the while using curse words and loud guffaws...

I'm happy that they were having such a great time. However, their great time shouldn't make my, or any one else's, dining experience be terrible. It didn't help that our waitress came to our table a total of 3 times. I'm not sure if she just wasn't very experienced or was totally wrapped up in catering to the one, large, table behind us. I don't get why people can't be AWARE of other people around them. All it would have taken for us to have a good time would be for them to have lowered their voices enough that my husband and I could hear each other. Gah!

3 comments:

  1. my goodness that is horribly rude of them. I don't understand people sometimes. I would hate having to deal with large parties like that when I worked in restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they were nice I never minded; if they were rude and demanding it was hell.

    ReplyDelete