Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dishes and the craptastic apartment

I know that dishwashers are becoming more and more common place in our lives and they really do make doing the dishes easier, but there is something very calming and relaxing about doing the dishes by hand. Of course, with a 9 month old, there really isn't enough time to do that because you have to watch them every second of the day. I really need another baby gate. Okay, what I really need is to not be living in this crap hole apartment anymore. Seriously, the walls don't match up well enough to even PUT a baby gate where we need them. When we moved in over a year ago I pushed to the back of my mind all of the things that were bad about this apartment because I did not want to face them. Now that other things in our lives are going wonderfully all of the bad things are coming back to haunt me. For instance, we have spots on our floor that are 'squishy.' There's no other word for it. I told the apartment managers the first week we moved in because I did NOT want to fall through the floor. Someone came over to take a look and proclaimed that the floor was sound, but the sub floor wasn't installed properly and we'd have to move into another apartment in order for them to fix it. Since I had JUST finished unpacking most of our stuff I wasn't really interested in it. Now, of course, I just keep finding more squishy spots. I hate it. You walk and the whole floor bounces with you. When I'm dancing around with the baby I pray that my foot doesn't fall through the floor. But if it did I would want two years worth of rent money returned to me. As it is I am going to refuse to pay a cleaning fee for the carpet because they are going to have to rip up all of the carpet to fix the squishy spots anyway (or they should because it's negligence not to now that I've pointed it out). So, I'm not going to pay for something that they should fix. Hopefully, they are good enough of a management company to fix that sort of thing and not try to charge us for it. If not there will be words. Many of them, in fact. The kitchen is kind of crappy too. I have two drawers. That's it. Two. What can you do with two drawers? Not much. Our stove is exactly the same as the one we had in our condo that we replaced because the oven stopped working (this one works fine, but it's old). The refrigerator is old too. It hums and today made an interesting rattle hum noise. I'm not going to say anything, if it dies the management company might put in a new one. The bathrooms in this place are frightening. They are small and the water molds. It's very odd, but the water in the bathrooms seems different than the water from the kitchen and it molds; easily. EW!!!!

Not to say that there aren't good things. The bedrooms are large, the closets are huge, and we have a washer and dryer. For the price we're paying that's actually pretty good since I've been searching for new apartments and none in our price range have washer and dryers. That sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing, Alexis. Enjoying your blog, it brings back my own memories of young married life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I will. I'm enjoying myself immensely.

    ReplyDelete