Thursday, May 13, 2010

"How old is your baby....boy?"

Yes, I know that my daughter has very little in the way of hair and what she does have is strawberry blonde and not well noticeable. I also DO NOT plaster her in pink clothing every single day. She wears orange, green, blue, purple, yellow, pink (occasionally)...you get the idea. She wears a lot of colors and they don't always scream GIRLIE GIRL...which, in my opinion, is the point. You don't have to plaster your child in pink if she's a girl. Nor do you need to plaster your child in blue if it's a boy...I digress. The POINT being that if you come up to a stranger with a baby and you CANNOT tell if it's a boy or a girl the polite thing MIGHT be to say, "Oh, how old is your baby?" and then the parent MIGHT say, "Oh, he/she, is ___(however old)."

But no...no...at LEAST 3 times in the day TODAY (my daughter's birthday), I was asked 'oh how old is your little boy?' or 'Oh, your son is so cute.'...etc. Sigh. I was very nice because they were trying to be nice even if it was annoying the crap out of me. She was in an orange dress with flowers on it for part of the day and a purple and blue shorts outfit for the rest. Yeah, not screaming "GIRL", but....did they really look? I'm guessing not and they were just making polite conversation. Still, I really do think that if you don't know the sex of the baby just refer to them as 'your child' or 'your baby' because it gives the parents an 'in' to be able to say if the baby is a boy or a girl. It's a little thing, but parents take it kind of personally. Especially, when people get it wrong...

So, I had an adventure with my daughter today. At the crosswalk to the grocery store actually. I have been known, at low traffic times, to dash across the road rather than walk the block up to the light and then BACK 1/2 a block to the store. However, if there's a bit more traffic I do the proper thing and go to the light hit the walk button and await my turn to go. Today I went up to the crosswalk, waited, and started crossing. A couple cars turned right before I got to the other side of the 4 lane street. No biggie since I wasn't even over there yet and they had plenty of time to go. However, as I got more than 1/2 way more cars just kept turning not even paying attention to the fact that I was now standing at a stop in the road waiting for the stupid drivers to stop turning so I could go across. I have a NEON LIME green stroller. It's hard to miss, but no...I waited for probably 3 cars to go before there was a nice woman who was obviously rolling her eyes at the stupendous stupidity of the drivers before her. She was nice. I hope she has good car karma for years to come. Moronic drivers.....

3 comments:

  1. Just from the way you described Anya's outfit she does not sound like she should be getting confused for a boy.... I realize she doesn't have hair, but what about boys with long hair? Same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Boys with longer hair get the same thing....if I can't OBVIOUSLY tell, I ask about 'the child' or 'your child' rather than boy/girl......

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely; and even then I tread lightly since I live in California. I have seen boys dressed as girls (maybe they are transgendered in the making?) so I always always always stuck to neutral pronouns until the parents feed me information.

    ReplyDelete