Monday, January 11, 2010

Jogging

Anyone who has met me would think, "Yeah, she is NOT a runner." and they would be right. I am not a runner. I'm a sissy girl when it comes to running, I do the whole chicken arm girly prancing run; it's bad. So I don't run. I've tried throughout the years to start running or jogging because I know that it can keep you in shape and I've always been looking at ways to stay in shape. I am not one of those naturally thin and lean people who can eat whatever they want, never exercise, and not gain a pound. Nope. Not one of them...

After I had my daughter I had a lot, A LOT, of weight to get off. Since I had a C-section I was allowed to walk for the first few weeks, and that was pretty much it. Luckily, I've discovered that walking has done wonders for me! I never knew I could get skinny legs, but lo and behold my legs are actually leaner than they were before I even got pregnant. The problem, of course, is to get the rest of my body back into a semblance of shape. I have a walking partner who actually likes to run/jog and she started making me do intervals of jogging with her on our walks. We haven't had a chance to walk in a while between illnesses, traveling, and the weather being a bit too cold to take our daughters for walks. So, this morning it was fairly nice out, not too chilly, and I actually went jogging with my daughter without having to have someone make me do it. And I jog-walked for a whole mile. So, the joggers and runners who read this will probably roll their eyes and go, "Oh, gee, a mile..." but for me a mile of jogging and walking is huge. Especially, since I was pushing a 20 lbs baby in a stroller. Now the real question is: can (or will) I do it again? We shall see...but since I have 10 lbs to go and a little weight I wanted off pre-pregnancy to go...I think there's a good chance of jogging becoming a permanent fixture in my days. Even if I do run like a sissy girl.

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I am exactly the same way. I love the idea of getting up and going for a good satisfying jog. However I am not in shape enough to actually run, nor am really coordinated enough. I am always more successful if I start out with little goals. Like going once a week...And you don't have to worry about your arms swinging like a sissy girl when you are pushing a stroller...right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stroller does help with the sissy girl arm swinging. =) I have found I do okay as long as I don't try to run/jog the whole way. I start to feel sick so I'm less likely to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's better to run/walk anyway. (You know how I love running!) I'm running with a girl who's never run before, and we've been doing 1 minute running (slowly), 1 minute walking for 10 minutes. Then the next time 2 minutes running, 1 minute walking.

    There's some marathon runner who won marathons doing 5 minutes running 30 seconds walking the whole time. Everyone thought he was crazy, but he was still the fastest. It really helps your joints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I don't know why my comment says "Brigitte and Jeff said..." Really just Brigitte said. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, well, I've never been a runner. You've known me my whole life and you know I don't like to run. I've gotten better. I enjoy shorter spurts of jogging...one to three minutes here or there; but I will never be someone who will go out and just run the whole time...my brother does that. I can't do my jog today; kind of pisses me off. I have two or three stitches at the top of my butt from getting a mole removed and it's still oozing...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh that's good; Jess and I do a walk around Mirimar Lake on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I will definitely work that into our plans when you three come out. We try not to miss it unless it's unavoidable, but I love the walks around the lake and it's a good batch of exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoohoo! Yes, love to walk! I'll bring the good stroller that goes up and down hills and such really well. We'll also have a backpacker too...since sometimes she's "done" with the stroller.

    ReplyDelete