Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Pink Elephant

My daughter has two pink elephant cuddly toys. They are for helping her get herself back to sleep without me in the night. I'm supposed to wear them around a little bit so some of 'mommy smells' gets onto them. We'll see how much it works, but so far I have some hopes...and lots of pink elephants running through my head like the big "Dumbo" elephants made out of pink champagne bubbles.

Of course I have another 'elephant' of sorts that I want to bring out into the open. I've been avoiding mentioning it, and wondering if I should mention it, but the truth is; it's part of my life right now and I want to be able to discuss it.

My mom has cancer. She got diagnosed with it shortly before Christmas and had surgery to remove a tumor in her leg in early December. She's doing pretty well; she has radiation therapy starting tomorrow and then chemotherapy after that, so sometime in April/March. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean obviously I'm upset that she's sick and I'm really hopeful that she's going to get through it all just fine. I just don't talk about it. I think about it sometimes, but if I dwell on it too much I just make myself crazy; so I try not to think about it too often. So, there, that's it. That's my pink elephant that also floats bubbly boo through my head.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your mom is doing well after the surgery. It is hard getting something like that out of your mind. I'm here for you if you ever want to talk about anything (you know me!). ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete