Saturday, January 16, 2010

Moms Don't Get Weekends

The title is pretty self explanatory and very true. Moms don't get weekends; especially stay at home moms. Since I'm at home my 'job' so to speak is taking care of my daughter and doing many (not all) of the chores that need to be done day to day around our apartment. So, the weekend is pretty much like the rest of the week, except that my husband is generally home and sometimes underfoot. See, everyone who goes to work looks forward to the weekend to spend time with their families, to recharge their batteries, and get ready for the week ahead. Stay at home moms have to make time to recharge their batteries because they are, essentially, 'on call' 24/7. I have to say it's the one drawback to being at home because the weekend doesn't really exist. "Free Time" and "Spare Time" don't really apply, and people who try to ask me what I'm going to do with my "free time" at home with my daughter make me want to strangle them. My 'free time' is spent jogging (with my daughter), cooking, doing laundry, taking a shower, and checking the occasional e-mail. So, it's not really 'free time' to do whatever I want with. I need to start MAKING myself have 'free time' that is actually doing what I want to do: like catching up on a sewing project or getting my nails done, or sitting reading a book for an hour without getting interrupted by diaper changes, entertaining my daughter with different activities, cooking dinner, or any number of other casual interruptions. They add up. So, I say to all the people out there who think stay at home moms have it 'so easy' and with lots of 'free time': Moms DON'T get weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment