Sunday, January 3, 2010

Travel Extravaganza

In the last 6 weeks my daughter and I have traveled extensively; across the country in fact. 6 weeks, 9 airplanes, 4 states (not including the brief stops to change planes). So, I've come to the conclusion that I have some travel credentials when it comes to traveling with children. Which means, of course, that I have some items of interest to talk about: other passengers, feeding an infant, traveling solo with a lap child, airlines, and security.

First off, other passengers... when I used to travel before I had kids I always felt sorry for the parents who would get on an airplane and have a fussy kid. Now, I've been one and I feel even sorrier for those whose kids cry on a plane. It's a nightmare. First off, you don't want your child to be feeling upset or in pain from the changing pressure. Secondly, you don't want your child to bother any of the other passengers and there will be plenty who will glare at the first sign of a fussy kid. Yet other passengers can also be a blessing when it comes to playing peek-a-boo or being willing to hold your child while you run to the bathroom. THANK YOU THANK YOU for the wonderful passengers who don't hold it against you that you are traveling with a child!!

Feeding an infant... The first time I traveled with my daughter on a plane I didn't need to worry about feeding her. It was an hour long flight, my husband was with me, and it coincided with her nap time. I was in heaven! The next time I traveled with her I was by myself, the flight was delayed, nap time was deferred, and my daughter ate in the terminal first. Not a huge ordeal in the terminal since you usually have some place (even the floor) to place a jar of food. However, this was a much longer flight and she had to eat again before we had landed. So here I am, 30,000 feet in the air with a hungry child, a jar of food, and a Boon travel spoon. I love the Boon Travel Spoon. If it were not for that spoon, which has a bulb on one end that you can fill with food that then gets squeezed out onto a spoon lip, I would have had to juggle a baby, an open jar of food, and a spoon. It would have been a mess! A sticky, slimy, mess all over the other passenger (or passengers) in my row. If you are traveling by yourself I highly recommend that item!

Traveling solo with a lap child... my biggest piece of advice is to pack your carry-on diaper bag light, but with all of the essentials. Do Not over-pack with toys, books, or games! You have to carry it, your child, and probably some sort of stroller or car seat. I over-packed the first time and was tired before I even boarded the first plane.

Lastly airlines and security... Check the airline website before you travel. Some airlines are better than others about what you can carry on, what can be checked (for free!), what may be checked for an extra fee, and what time you board your flight. For instance, Southwest flights have Family Boarding; after the first 60 people get on. Delta flights you get to board with First Class, Business Class, and all of the other Elite groups. There's a trade-off in bags though; Southwest gets the first two free, Delta you pay for the first one (although some baby items can be checked for free). So, know what you can check and take on as a carry-on before hand. Security...ah, security how much I loathe thee! Security has a purpose and I won't deny it, however they do not make it easy for families traveling with children. Some airports have made it easier with a "Family and Medical Liquids" Lane that you go to when you go through security. Since you're with a lot of other families you won't have any glares for taking forever to get through. My first 'on my own' trip with my daughter through security included the TSA Officer inspecting her water saying, "I need to run a chemical test on this." I asked what that entailed and he said, "I'll put a chemical in it to see if it's a liquid explosive." So, I promptly said you can just throw it away because she's going to want to drink it later. Then he said, "Oh, I was only joking I just need to wave a test strip over it; nothing goes inside. I shouldn't tease parents like that." No kidding. Very funny. Ha. Ha. I'm laughing all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment